|L. E. Smith Glass Company - Jeannette, Pennsylvania|
|The company was established in 1907 in Jeannette, PA and is known for producing the first headlight lens for the Model T Ford. In 1975 the company was purchased by Owens-Illinois, Inc. Smith was operated as a wholly-owned subsidiary. Smith bought many molds from Mckee in the 1950s including several "tec" patterns. They also bought molds from Imperial Glass when they closed in 1981.
During the 1970s and 80s, Smith made various items in carnival glass treatments including plates, club souvenirs, novelties and bicentennial items. Their pieces are often marked with a Capital S with a smaller "G" in the top portion of the S and a smaller "C" in the bottom portion of the S.
L.E. Smith made carnival glass in several colors including amethyst, Crystal Lustre (white), Gold (amber), green and red.
L.E. Smith Glass Company closed in 2004 due to bankruptcy.
|For more information on L. E. Smith Glass,
see Lloyd Reichel's book entitled "Modern Carnival Glass Collectors Book II".
See article written by Rose Presznick
See article written in April 1976 Encore newsletter
Other carnival glass made by L. E. Smith: