|E. Ward Russell - Washington, D.C.|
|E. Ward Russell was an avid collector of many things but especially carnival glass. In December of 1964, Mrs. Charlotte Ormsbee, William Crowl and Ward met in Washington, D.C., to form the Nation's Capitol Carnival Glass Club. Ward soon realized that interest was wide spread and that there was a need for a national organization for Carnival Glass collectors. The Nation's Capitol Carnival Glass Club soon transitioned into the American Carnival Glass Association (ACGA).
In 1954 President Eisenhower appointed Ward to work in the White House. He worked in the White House for many years, and carnival collectors recall being added to the White House Christmas card list as a result.
Ward commissioned various glass makers to make carnival glass pieces for his "company" - "The Glass House". Pieces he commissioned had his initials EWR moulded into them such as the amber Storybook mug below (which is also inscribed "Nixon Agnew") and the green cup saucer below which features a portrait of Ward and is only 3 inches across. Several of the first ACGA souvenirs have the EWR intials.
Other carnival glass commissioned by E. Ward Russell: